What is Title I?
Title I is a federal grant program that provides financial assistance to states and school districts to meet the needs of educationally at-risk students. The goal of Title I is to provide extra instructional services and activities which support students identified as at risk of failing to meet the state’s challenging performance standards, most specifically in Math or English/Language-Arts. North College Hill Elementary and Middle School both receive Title I funding.
What will Title I programs do for my child?
The Title I program will provide your child with supplemental educational assistance and interventions in addition to the regular classroom in math and reading.
What do Title I programs offer?
- Smaller groups for targeted skills
- Additional teachers and aides
- Opportunities for professional development for school staff
- Additional time for teaching Title I students the skills they need
- A variety of supplementary teaching methods, strategies, and materials
- An individualized program to meet students' needs
Parent’s Right to Know
Your child’s school receives Federal Title I funds to assist students in meeting state achievement standards. This notification lets you know about your right to request information about the qualifications of classroom staff working with your child and information about student assessments given during the school year.
Title I schools must meet federal regulations related to teacher qualifications as defined in the ESEA (Elementary and Secondary Education Act). These regulations allow you to learn more about your child’s teachers’ training and credentials. At any time, you may ask:
- If the teacher meets state qualifications and certification requirements for the grade level and subject he/she is teaching
- If the teacher has received an emergency or conditional certificate through which state qualifications were waived
- What undergraduate or graduate degrees the teacher holds, and major(s) or area(s) of concentration.
- Whether your child receives help from a paraprofessional, and if so, his/her qualifications
How can I get involved?
One important component of Title I schools is the role of families in supporting their child's education. Title I schools are committed to reaching out to families through volunteer opportunities, family education sessions, and general publications that include strategies for helping your child succeed at school.
- Attend Family Night Events
- Attend Parent Teacher Conferences
- Provide feedback on Buildings Family Engagement and Improvement Plans
- Complete Family Engagement Survey
- Attend Annual Title I Meetings